Blog Archive

Reader's question and request - Rimmel's base coat

LightPinkPearl asked me some questions about the Rimmel London Base coat.

I did my nails today again, and applied the base coat again. 

She asked me how the color turnout was. Unfortunately the color does not show at all, so I did not even take pictures, because you'd see a nail with clear polish on. It's like I would have applied a top coat. No difference in appearance. So if you wanted to buy the base coat because of it's color, I suggest you don't. It applies like a clear polish. The little shimmer's that you could see in the bottle are not visible. Even if applied 2-3 coats, it's a clear polish. 

Her other question was that does the nail polish have any bad ingredients such as toluene or formaldehyde. And I do not have an answer to that. The nail polish bottle does not have an ingredient list. Rimmel London's webpage does not have an ingredient list for this nail polish. I looked at my other Rimmel polishes and they don't have ingredient lists either, on the bottles at least. Okay, shouldn't there be mention of the ingredients?  Isn't that in the law? I looked and looked the bottle over and there is nothing. They only mention the polish is "Enriched with calcium and keratin." In five different languages. 

My Orly nail polishes say they do not have toluene, formaldehyde or DBP in them. Rimmel's polishes make no mention about these or any ingredients unfortunately. Safest bet would be to try Orly, or some other brand that clearly states the polish does not include these ingredients.