Blog Archive

A Night Out + hair and makeup

On Saturday night we went out to dinner with 11 other people. Two had just graduated with their Bachelor's degrees so this was like a celebration dinner and a Christmas party in one. 

We had a wonderful dinner in a restaurant which normally would be way too expensive for a student budget. 

I wanted to do something special with my hair because I never do anything. I don't know how to do different hair styles well.

At the blogger meet up we were given a lot of hair products and today I tried the sweetest one: Tigi BedHead Totally Baked Volumizing and Prepping Hair Meringue. Oh my goodness it smells sweet!!! It's like lemon meringue. Yummy! 


I put a small plum size dollop on my hand and applied it to towel dried hair. I blow dried my hair and used a round brush.

My hair is fine and there is usually hardly any volume.


I tried to take the front pieces of hair and braid them. Then I took a comb and backcombed in the crown area. I decided to do a side ponytail. I did the ponytail first, and then braided the front. I wanted to use the front part to conceal the hair tie, but that didn't work, so I had to do the ponytail again, this time with the braided front hair. And that's when I messed up more as my hair had no volume and the backcombing didn't work out. Sigh. Did I say I can't do hair??

I used some kind of a heat protectant that was also a shaper and then with a curling iron I got amazing curls for the first time in my life! They were perfect. I took this picture at the end of the night. The weather was horrible, rainy and horrible. The curls stayed for the most part, until the end when we left cause it was raining really heavily and I did not have an unbrella. . I added a ton of hair spray before we left from home.



I did my makeup with Wet n' Wild shadows.


First, I applied UDPP, then Painterly Paint pot by MAC. Then I used the matte skin colored color of the Vanity palette (leftmost palette) on the browbone area. I took the browbone color of the Petal Pusher palette (right) and applied that a little on my crease and above it, but so that it did not cover my whole browbone.

I applied the matte light pink from the Lust palette (middle) to the inner half, and then the crease color from the Petal Pusher palette to the outer half. I deepened that outer half by adding the darker purple from the Lust palette. I used the darkest purple from the Lust palette in the crease and outer V.


Picture do not do any justice to the makeup. It was darker than it looks here. I took these pictures after the night when we got home.


I added 2-3 extra lashes. They don't look like they would be in the right spot. First I put 1 coat of Estee Lauder's lengthening mascara, then two coats of Maybelline's Colossal volume mascara. Only Estee Lauder on the bottom lashes.


Both eyes.


I used Sensai's black liquid eyeliner, and then on the waterline MAC's Blacktrack fluidline.

I just noticed that my contacts makes it look like my eyes have rings on them. I don't remember that happening in pictures with my old contacts. These are new and they correct astigmatism. (And after a quick Wikipedia search, lenses that correct astigmatism are toric lenses, they have two different powers in two orientations.)


I got quite a few compliments on this makeup. I really like it too!




What do you do on a night out?


Remember to follow me on Facebook and Twitter. Links are in the tabs on the top!



Tigi Totally Baked hair product was given to me. Opinions are my own. Makeup I bought myself.