Blog Archive

I Loved Her First

* Watch this video clip first before reading *





When I was still a little girl, he meant the whole world to me. He was my number one. And he meant everything to me. I wanted to do anything to impress him: Learned how to ride a bicycle, poured water for him when he came back from work and read out the textbook content loudly just to let him know I was studying. These are the things that I will not do anymore as I keep on growing.


"From the day he brings his newborn girl home, a father lives in fear that
someday she’ll get hurt, someday she’ll hate him, and even worst, someday she’ll grow up."

He's a very stern, silent man who his children are not used to see a smile on his face. I remembered when I was a little girl, everytime when he went out I used to pester him to bring me along. Most of the time he would say no for that. Now I have grown up. And we communicate less and less, ever since I went through my rebellious stage and the family affairs. However, along with the growth of his age, he has changed a lot. He's the one who takes initiative to talk with his children now.


It was one night I went back to my hometown from Kuching. I reached around 2 a.m. as I took a long distance bus from Kuala Lumpur to my hometown. When I reached home, I was surprised that my father still hadn't sleep. He started to ask questions like: "Why were you so late? What time the bus departed from KL? Who fetched you home from bus station? Have you eaten? Want to take shower? Do you have towel?" when I just stepped into the house. I was getting a little bit impatient to answer his questions. Right after I put down my luggage, I took the towel and pyjamas and immediately entered the bathroom. I could still hear him saying outside the bathroom: "Remember to eat the dinner kept for you on the dining table and switch off the light when you're going to bed." I didn't respond, yet I knew he walked away when he heard the running water of the shower head.




After I bathed, I went for my dinner at the dining table. I saw a bowl of lotus root peanut soup beside my meal. It was warm. And I just realised he actually stayed up late to wait for my arrival and warmed the soup for me. That night, he didn't only warm up the soup, as well as the cockles of my heart. He doesn't have to speak much, because I know he's the one who's always been there for me, faithfully.

Sorry, I couldn't make myself home for this year. Happy Father's Day. From your daughter with love.