Avon - Planet Spa review Part 1and EotD

My friend is an Avon sales representative person and about 2 (or 3) months ago I ordered some stuff from Avon. I got a face mask, the Planet Spa Mediterranean Olive Oil hydrating face mask (and two eye liners).


I'm horrible with facial scrubs and masks. I never remember to use them regularly. I keep up with a routine of using a face scrub and a mask once a week for about 2 weeks and then I forget about it. Months go by and then I start again, put on a mask once and then there's a months time when nothing happens. I just haven't gotten used to using scrubs and masks. I've never felt like I'd need to use them often, but I've also never used them often to notice a significant difference to the times I haven't been using them.

So without a further ado, let's start with the review Part 1. Part 1 is my first thoughts about the product, packaging, smell, products consistency and whatever I can think of at this point when I haven't used the product many times for a long time.

I've used this mask about 3-4 times now at very random times.

The package is a nice tube. I got nothing bad to say about it. 75 ml of product.

Product smells nice. Very fresh. It isn't very thick in a sense that it would be difficult to spread on my face.

When I've spread the mask on my face it doesn't itch or anything. It doens't fully dry in the 20 minutes that I have the mask on my face before rinsing it off. It doesn't dry, but it isn't terribly wet either. 

I'm going to go through the first ingredients individually. I'll add some comments from the rest of the ingredients then if I see something worth mentioning. Ingredients are listed according to their concentration in the product, and the first 10 or so are the meaningful ones.

Ingredients: Aqua, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Triethanolamine, Zea Mays Starch, Carbomer, PEG-20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Disodium EDTA, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Methylparaben, Parfum, Benzophenone-4, Dimethicone, Panthenol, Olea Europaea Oil, Olea Europaea Leaf Extract, Phosphoric Acid, Alcohol Denat. Lecithin, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Beta-Carotene, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, Tocopherol, CI 19140, CI 15510, CI 42090, <1006617-001>

Aqua - water

Glycerin - probably more commonly known as glycerol, present in natural lipids. It is hydroscopic, meaning it is absorbs water very well, and "glycerin works because of its ability to attract water from the environment and from the lower layers of skin (dermis) increasing the amount of water in the surface layers of skin." [1]

Glyceryl Stearate is an emulsifier, thickening agent

Triethanolamine is a pH balancer. Skin is doing well if it's pH is good and the products are have similar pH values.

Zea Mays Starch - could not find it from the Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary. (see link at the bottom of this post)

Carbomer - thickening agent

PEG-20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate - can be used for many things, emulsifier or surfactant

Disodium EDTA - referred to only EDTA. It's a stabilizer, prevents particles from binding with others and other elements and so preventing "unwanted product changes to the texture, the odor, and the consistency." [2]

Imidiazolidinyl Urea - preservative

Hydroxyethylcellulose - thickening agent, usually used as a binding agent or an emulsifier

Methylparaben - parabens are preservatives. More about parabens here. There is a lot of knowledge about parabens available in this world, however, there is also a lot of unanswered questions about them.



All information about ingredients is from Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary.  Where text is copied directly, there is a [x] with a link to that article.

Today's EotD. My boyfriend and I went to play squash this morning. I ha.d to do my makeup in the car on the way from there to university and this is how it turned out. I decided to play it safe with the colors. They're  from the Wet&Wild Vanity Vanite palette. I'm using Avon's eyeliner in something Teal. The makeup is in my boyfriends car at the moment, so I can't tell you the exact name of it, but I'll edit this later.